1. Mammides C, Chen J, Goodale UM, Kotagama SW, Goodale E: Measurement of species associations in mixed-species bird flocks across environmental and human disturbance gradients. Ecosphere 2018, 9(7).
2. Hai BT, Chen J, McConkey KR, Dayananda SK: Gibbons (Nomascus gabriellae) provide key seed dispersal for the Pacific walnut (Dracontomelon dao), in Asia's lowland tropical forest. Acta Oecologica-International Journal of Ecology 2018, 88:71-79.
3. Cao L, Wang B, Yan C, Wang ZY, Zhang HM, Geng YZ, Chen J, Zhang ZB: Risk of cache pilferage determines hoarding behavior of rodents and seed fate. Behavioral Ecology 2018, 29(4):984-991.
4. Yang X, Chen J: Using discovery maps as a free-choice learning process can enhance the effectiveness of environmental education in a botanical garden. Environmental Education Research 2017, 23(5):656-674.
5. Mammides C, Goodale E, Dayananda SK, Kang L, Chen J: Do acoustic indices correlate with bird diversity? Insights from two biodiverse regions in Yunnan Province, south China. Ecological Indicators 2017, 82:470-477.
6. Gu H, Chen J, Ewing H, Liu XH, Zhao JB, Goodale E: Heterospecific attraction to the vocalizations of birds in mass-fruiting trees. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 2017, 71(5).
7. Chanthayod S, Zhang WZ, Chen J: People's Perceptions of the Benefits of Natural Beekeeping and Its Positive Outcomes for Forest Conservation: A Case Study in Northern Lao PDR. Tropical Conservation Science 2017, 10.
8. Cao L, Guo C, Chen J: Fluctuation in seed abundance has contrasting effects on the fate of seeds from two rapidly germinating tree species in an Asian tropical forest. Integrative Zoology 2017, 12(1):2-11.
9. Bach TH, Chen J, Hoang MD, Beng KC, Nguyen VT: Feeding behavior and activity budget of the southern yellow-cheeked crested gibbons (Nomascus gabriellae) in a lowland tropical forest. American Journal of Primatology 2017, 79(8).
10. Aluthwattha ST, Harrison RD, Ranawana KB, Xu C, Lai R, Chen J: Does spatial variation in predation pressure modulate selection for aposematism? Ecology and Evolution 2017, 7(18):7560-7572.
11. Xia SW, Chen J, Schaefer D, Goodale UM: Effect of topography and litterfall input on fine-scale patch consistency of soil chemical properties in a tropical rainforest. Plant and Soil 2016, 404(1-2):385-398.
12. Wang G, Cannon CH, Chen J: Pollinator sharing and gene flow among closely related sympatric dioecious fig taxa. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 2016, 283(1828).
13. Mammides C, Goodale UM, Corlett RT, Chen J, Bawa KS, Hariya H, Jarrad F, Primack RB, Ewing H, Xia X et al: Increasing geographic diversity in the international conservation literature: A stalled process? Biological Conservation 2016, 198:78-83.
14. Liu SJ, Chen J, Gan WJ, Fu SL, Schaefer D, Gan JM, Yang XD: Cascading effects of spiders on a forest-floor food web in the face of environmental change. Basic and Applied Ecology 2016, 17(6):527-534.
15. Liu SJ, Behm JE, Chen J, Fu SL, He XX, Hu J, Schaefer D, Gan JM, Yang XD: Functional redundancy dampens the trophic cascade effect of a web-building spider in a tropical forest floor. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 2016, 98:22-29.
16. Hu SF, Chen J: Place-based inter-generational communication on local climate improves adolescents' perceptions and willingness to mitigate climate change. Climatic Change 2016, 138(3-4):425-438.
17. Cao L, Wang ZY, Yan C, Chen J, Guo C, Zhang ZB: Differential foraging preferences on seed size by rodents result in higher dispersal success of medium-sized seeds. Ecology 2016, 97(11):3070-3078.
18. Xu FF, Chen J, Husson J: Leaf area lost, rather than herbivore type, determines the induction of extrafloral nectar secretion in a tropical plant (Clerodendrum philippinum) (vol 8, pg 513, 2014). Arthropod-Plant Interactions 2015, 9(3):321-321.
19. Xu FF, Chen J: Extrafloral nectar secretion is mainly determined by carbon fixation under herbivore-free condition in the tropical shrub Clerodendrum philippinum var. simplex. Flora 2015, 217:10-13.
20. Xia SW, Chen J, Schaefer D, Detto M: Scale-dependent soil macronutrient heterogeneity reveals effects of litterfall in a tropical rainforest. Plant and Soil 2015, 391(1-2):51-61.
21. Sreekar R, Srinivasan U, Mammides C, Chen J, Goodale UM, Kotagama SW, Sidhu S, Goodale E: The effect of land-use on the diversity and mass-abundance relationships of understory avian insectivores in Sri Lanka and southern India. Scientific Reports 2015, 5.
22. Mammides C, Chen J, Goodale UM, Kotagama SW, Sidhu S, Goodale E: Does mixed-species flocking influence how birds respond to a gradient of land-use intensity? Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 2015, 282(1811).
23. Liu SJ, Li ZP, Sui Y, Schaefer DA, Alele PO, Chen J, Yang XD: Spider foraging strategies dominate pest suppression in organic tea plantations. Biocontrol 2015, 60(6):839-847.
24. Liu SJ, Chen J, Gan WJ, Schaefer D, Gan JM, Yang XD: Spider foraging strategy affects trophic cascades under natural and drought conditions. Scientific Reports 2015, 5.
25. Liu Q, Chen J, Corlett RT, Fan XL, Yu DL, Yang HP, Gao JY: Orchid conservation in the biodiversity hotspot of southwestern China. Conservation Biology 2015, 29(6):1563-1572.
26. Gu H, Goodale E, Chen J: Does the role that frugivorous bird species play in seed dispersal networks influence the speed of evolutionary divergence? Global Ecology and Conservation 2015, 3:121-128.
27. Gonzalvez FG, Chen J, Rodriguez-Girones MA: The function of ant repellence by flowers: testing the "nectar protection" and "pollinator protection" hypotheses. Evolutionary Ecology 2015, 29(3):391-403.
28. Zhang WZ, Goodale E, Chen J: How contact with nature affects children's biophilia, biophobia and conservation attitude in China. Biological Conservation 2014, 177:109-116.
29. Yi ZF, Cannon CH, Chen J, Ye CX, Swetnam RD: Developing indicators of economic value and biodiversity loss for rubber plantations in Xishuangbanna, southwest China: A case study from Menglun township. Ecological Indicators 2014, 36:788-797.
30. Xu FF, Chen J, Husson J: Leaf area lost, rather than herbivore type, determines the induction of extrafloral nectar secretion in a tropical plant (Clerodendrum philippinum). Arthropod-Plant Interactions 2014, 8(6):513-518.
31. Wang G, Chen J, Li ZB, Zhang FP, Yang DR: Has Pollination Mode Shaped the Evolution of Ficus Pollen? Plos One 2014, 9(1).
32. Wang B, Chen J, Corlett RT: Factors influencing repeated seed movements by scatter-hoarding rodents in an alpine forest. Scientific Reports 2014, 4.
33. Liu SJ, Chen J, He XX, Hu J, Yang XD: Trophic cascade of a web-building spider decreases litter decomposition in a tropical forest floor. European Journal of Soil Biology 2014, 65:79-86.
34. Goodale E, Kotagama SW, Raman TRS, Sidhu S, Goodale U, Parker S, Chen J: The response of birds and mixed-species bird flocks to human-modified landscapes in Sri Lanka and southern India. Forest Ecology and Management 2014, 329:384-392.
35. Zhou YB, Newman C, Chen J, Xie ZQ, Macdonald DW: Anomalous, extreme weather disrupts obligate seed dispersal mutualism: snow in a subtropical forest ecosystem. Global Change Biology 2013, 19(9):2867-2877.
36. Wang G, Compton SG, Chen J: The mechanism of pollinator specificity between two sympatric fig varieties: a combination of olfactory signals and contact cues. Annals of Botany 2013, 111(2):173-181.
37. Wang B, Ye CX, Cannon CH, Chen J: Dissecting the decision making process of scatter-hoarding rodents. Oikos 2013, 122(7):1027-1034.
38. Behm JE, Yang XD, Chen J: Slipping through the Cracks: Rubber Plantation Is Unsuitable Breeding Habitat for Frogs in Xishuangbanna, China. Plos One 2013, 8(9).
39. Zhao J, Chen J: Interspecific Variation in Compensatory Regrowth to Herbivory Associated with Soil Nutrients in Three Ficus (Moraceae) Saplings. Plos One 2012, 7(9).
40. Yang XD, Yang Z, Warren MW, Chen J: Mechanical fragmentation enhances the contribution of Collembola to leaf litter decomposition. European Journal of Soil Biology 2012, 53:23-31.
41. Wang B, Wang G, Chen J: Scatter-hoarding rodents use different foraging strategies for seeds from different plant species. Plant Ecology 2012, 213(8):1329-1336.
42. Wang B, Chen J: Effects of Fat and Protein Levels on Foraging Preferences of Tannin in Scatter-Hoarding Rodents. Plos One 2012, 7(7).
43. Meng LZ, Martin K, Liu JX, Chen J: Young leaf protection in the shrub Leea glabra in south-west China: the role of extrafloral nectaries and ants. Arthropod-Plant Interactions 2012, 6(1):59-65.
44. Meng LZ, Martin K, Liu JX, Burger F, Chen J: Contrasting responses of hoverflies and wild bees to habitat structure and land use change in a tropical landscape (southern Yunnan, SW China). Insect Science 2012, 19(6):666-676.
45. Meng LZ, Gao XX, Chen J, Martin K: Spatial and temporal effects on seed dispersal and seed predation of Musa acuminata in southern Yunnan, China. Integrative Zoology 2012, 7(1):30-40.
46. He H, Chen J: Educational and enjoyment benefits of visitor education centers at botanical gardens. Biological Conservation 2012, 149(1):103-112.
47. Zhao J, Chen J: Photosynthesis, growth and foliar herbivory of four Ardisia species (Myrsinaceae). Acta Oecologica-International Journal of Ecology 2011, 37(3):277-283.
48. Zhang L, Li HT, Gao LM, Yang JB, Li DZ, Cannon CH, Chen J, Li QJ: Phylogeny and Evolution of Bracts and Bracteoles in Tacca (Dioscoreaceae). Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 2011, 53(11):901-911.
49. Wang B, Chen J: Scatter-Hoarding Rodents Prefer Slightly Astringent Food. Plos One 2011, 6(10).
50. Chen F, Chen J: Dispersal syndrome differentiation of Pinus armandii in Southwest China: Key elements of a potential selection mosaic. Acta Oecologica-International Journal of Ecology 2011, 37(6):587-593.
51. Cao L, Xiao ZS, Wang ZY, Guo C, Chen J, Zhang ZB: High regeneration capacity helps tropical seeds to counter rodent predation. Oecologia 2011, 166(4):997-1007.
52. Cao L, Xiao ZS, Guo C, Chen J: Scatter-hoarding rodents as secondary seed dispersers of a frugivore-dispersed tree Scleropyrum wallichianum in a defaunated Xishuangbanna tropical forest, China. Integrative Zoology 2011, 6(3):227-234.
53. Zhou HP, Chen J: Spatial genetic structure in an understorey dioecious fig species: the roles of seed rain, seed and pollen-mediated gene flow, and local selection. Journal of Ecology 2010, 98(5):1168-1177.
54. Xu FF, Chen J: Competition hierarchy and plant defense in a guild of ants on tropical Passiflora. Insectes Sociaux 2010, 57(3):343-349.
55. Fu Y, Chen J, Guo H, Hu H, Chen A, Cui J: AGROBIODIVERSITY LOSS AND LIVELIHOOD VULNERABILITY AS A CONSEQUENCE OF CONVERTING FROM SUBSISTENCE FARMING SYSTEMS TO COMMERCIAL PLANTATION-DOMINATED SYSTEMS IN XISHUANGBANNA, YUNNAN, CHINA: A HOUSEHOLD LEVEL ANALYSIS. Land Degradation & Development 2010, 21(3):274-284.
56. Yang XD, Chen J: Plant litter quality influences the contribution of soil fauna to litter decomposition in humid tropical forests, southwestern China. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 2009, 41(5):910-918.
57. Wang B, Chen J: Seed size, more than nutrient or tannin content, affects seed caching behavior of a common genus of Old World rodents. Ecology 2009, 90(11):3023-3032.
58. Sanitjan S, Chen J: Habitat and fig characteristics influence the bird assemblage and network properties of fig trees from Xishuangbanna, South-West China. Journal of Tropical Ecology 2009, 25:161-170.
59. Fu YN, Chen J, Guo HJ, Hu HB, Chen AG, Cui JY: Rain forest dwellers' livelihoods: income generation, household wealth and NTFP sales, a case study from Xishuangbanna, SW China. International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology 2009, 16(5):332-338.
60. Fu YN, Chen J, Guo HJ, Chen AG, Cui JY, Hu HB: The role of non-timber forest products during agroecosystem shift in Xishuangbanna, southwestern China. Forest Policy and Economics 2009, 11(1):18-25.
61. Fu YN, Brookfield H, Guo HJ, Chen J, Chen AG, Cui JY: Smallholder rubber plantation expansion and its impact on local livelihoods, land use and agrobiodiversity, a case study from Daka, Xishuangbanna, southwestern China. International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology 2009, 16(1):22-29.
62. Chen J, Cannon CH, Hu HB: Tropical botanical gardens: at the in situ ecosystem management frontier. Trends in Plant Science 2009, 14(11):584-589.
63. Zhou YB, Zhang JS, Slade E, Zhang LB, Palomares F, Chen J, Wang XM, Zhang SY: Dietary shifts in relation to fruit availability among masked palm civets (Paguma larvata) in central China. Journal of Mammalogy 2008, 89(2):435-447.
64. Wang B, Chen J: Tannin concentration enhances seed caching by scatter-hoarding rodents: An experiment using artificial 'seeds'. Acta Oecologica-International Journal of Ecology 2008, 34(3):379-385.
65. Zhou HP, Chen J, Chen F: Ant-mediated seed dispersal contributes to the local spatial pattern and genetic structure of Globba lanciangensis (Zingiberaceae). Journal of Heredity 2007, 98(4):317-324.
66. Liu F, Chen J, Chai J, Zhang X, Bai X, He D, Roubik DW: Adaptive functions of defensive plant phenolics and a non-linear bee response to nectar components. Functional Ecology 2007, 21(1):96-100.
67. Zhang L, Li QJ, Li HT, Chen J, Li DZ: Genetic diversity and geographic differentiation in Tacca chantrieri (Taccaceae): an autonomous selfing plant with showy floral display. Annals of Botany 2006, 98(2):449-457.
68. Aeshita M, Wilske B, Zhan-Hui T, Chen J: Occurrence and morphometric variability in the frugivorous bat species, Cynopterus sphinx and Rousettus leschenaulti, from a tropical rainforest, Xishuangbanna, SW-China. Acta Chiropterologica 2006, 8(2):417-427.
69. Zhang L, Barrett SCH, Gao JY, Chen J, Cole WW, Liu Y, Bai ZL, Li QJ: Predicting mating patterns from pollination syndromes: The case of "sapromyiophily" in Tacca chantrieri (Taccaceae). American Journal of Botany 2005, 92(3):517-524.
70. Liu Y, Qiu YP, Zhang L, Chen J: Dormancy breaking and storage behavior of Garcinia cowa Roxb. (Guttiferae) seeds: Implications for ecological function and germplasm conservation. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 2005, 47(1):38-49.
71. Jin C, Wang PS, Xia YM, Xu M, Pei SJ: Genetic diversity and differentiation of Camellia sinensis L. (cultivated tea) and its wild relatives in Yunnan province of China, revealed by morphology, biochemistry and allozyme studies. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution 2005, 52(1):41-52.
72. Hui X, Jin C: Interspecific variation of plant traits associated with resistance to herbivory among four species of Ficus (Moraceae). Annals of Botany 2004, 94(3):377-384.
73. Chen J, Fleming TH, Zhang L, Wang H, Liu Y: Patterns of fruit traits in a tropical rainforest in Xishuangbanna, SW China. Acta Oecologica-International Journal of Ecology 2004, 26(2):157-164.
74. Chen J, Yao TQ, Li QJ, Wang H, Li BG, Cai CT, Zhang YH, Chanthone, Manivanh S: Assessment of opium-based fanning systems: a case study in the Nahom area, Oudomxay Province in Northern Laos. International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology 2001, 8(1):47-55.
75. Chen J, Deng XB, Bai ZL, Yang O, Chen GQ, Liu Y, Liu ZQ: Fruit characteristics and Muntiacus muntijak vaginalis (Muntjac) visits to individual plants of Choerospondias axillaris. Biotropica 2001, 33(4):718-722.
76. Chen J, Su YC, Chen GQ, Wang WD: Ethnobotanical studies on wild edible fruits in southern Yunnan: Folk names; Nutritional value and uses. Economic Botany 1999, 53(1):2-14.